The Union, as the collective representative of the Municipalities, focuses its efforts on consultations with the Government and the House of Representatives, aiming to correctly address issues that concern and interest the Municipalities. Our aim is to promote the views of the Municipalities by explaining and documenting their positions, so that the final decisions of the Government and the Parliament on political issues consider their views and interests. In addition to representing Municipalities in consultations with the Government and the Parliament, the Union represents the Municipalities and consults with the Political Parties, various public or private law organizations and other organizations and institutions.
Beyond the handling of local matters, the Union represents the Municipalities of Cyprus abroad. The Union actively participates with its delegation in the work of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe, which is the leading European body for Local Government issues. The Union is also a member and actively participates in other European and International Organizations and bodies, such as the European Committee of the Regions (EcoR), the Council of European Communities and Regions (CEMR), the Assembly of European Region (AER).
The representation of Municipalities in Cyprus and abroad is of course the most important of the Union’s functions, but not the only one. The Union is also making continues efforts for closer cooperation between Municipalities, which, due to the relatively small size of the Municipalities of Cyprus, will benefit both their own organizations and their citizens, especially in terms of cost and level of the services offered. Also, through the Union, views are often exchanged on the experiences of each Municipality and the joint handling of various issues, which is very useful for the Municipalities.
The activity of the Union is truly multifarious and complex, since it deals with a number of issues that concern and interest the Municipalities. The monitoring of the relevant legislation and the active intervention, where needed, of the Union is one of the most important aspects of its activity, as the operation of the Municipalities in relation to several areas in which they exercise their powers and responsibilities is directly affected by the provisions of the existing legislation. For this reason, the Union is systematically and cautiously monitoring this area in order to protect the interests of the Municipalities and, at the same time, to promote the improvement and modernization of legislation, as far as possible, so that the institutional framework permits Municipalities to expand and improve the range and level of services they offer to their citizens.
The objectives of the Union of Cyprus Municipalities according to its statute are the following:
- To act as the highest body representing the Municipalities of Cyprus on a national and international level, with a view to promote and defend their interests and objectives in a concerted manner.
- To strengthen the political, administrative and financial autonomy and independence of the Municipalities.
- To identify problems of a general or common nature and define the possibilities of the Municipalities, in order to draft policies and strategies and ensure their implementation.
- To monitor and promote legislation relating to the interests of the Municipalities.
- To interact effectively with the Municipalities in order to facilitate and enhance cooperation with them, thus offering them the possibility to communicate and exchange opinions and know-how among them and improve cooperation with Local Authorities from other countries.
- To provide the appropriate support services to the Municipalities (research, studies, advice, training etc).
- To cooperate with the trade unions representing Municipal staff and the various social and economic partners.
- To project and highlight the political, social and economic/development role of local self-government and to encourage and facilitate citizen participation in the management of local issues.
- To achieve the widest possible participation of Municipal Authorities in governance in Cyprus.