Πύλη Αμμοχώστου – Επαρχία Λευκωσίας
Παραλιακό μέτωπο – Επαρχία Λεμεσού
Λίμνη Αλυκής – Επαρχία Λάρνακας
Πέτρα του Ρωμιού – Επαρχία Πάφου
Παραλία Πόλης Αμμοχώστου - Επαρχία Αμμοχώστου
Κάστρο της Κερύνειας – Επαρχία Κερύνειας
2430 Agios Dometios
Mayor: Kostas Petrou
Tel.: +357 22392000
Fax: +357 22778956
Σύσταση του Δήμου
Ο Άγιος Δομέτιος συστάθηκε σε Δήμο και λειτούργησε το 1986 με βάση τον περί Δήμων Νόμο (Ν.111/85). Ο Άγιος Δομέτιος είναι συνοικία στα δυτικά της Λευκωσίας. Έχει έκταση 12 τ.χ. και βρίσκεται σε υψόμετρο 160 μέτρων. Το μεγαλύτερο τμήμα του Δήμου, τα 4/5, βρίσκεται από το 1974 υπό τουρκική κατοχή. Ο Άγιος Δομέτιος αναφέρεται για πρώτη φορά στη Φραγκοκρατία ως φέουδο. Μέχρι τα νεότερα χρόνια ήταν ένα μικρό χωριό με δύο εκκλησίες, του Αγίου Γεωργίου και του Αγίου Δομετίου. Μεγάλη συνοικία του Δήμου είναι και η ενορία του Αγίου Παύλου.
Το όνομά του το οφείλει στον Άγιο Δομέτιο τον Πέρση. Ο Άγιος Δομέτιος ο Πέρσης, μαρτύρησε γύρω στα 362 μ. Χ. Η μνήμη του γιορτάζεται στις 7 Αυγούστου. Οι Μελχίτες και άλλοι Χριστιανοί της Ανατολής γιορτάζουν τη μνήμη του Αγίου Δομετίου, ο οποίος σύμφωνα με την παράδοση ήταν ένας Πέρσης προσήλυτος που έγινε μοναχός στη Μεσοποταμία, χειροτονήθηκε διάκονος και πήγε να ζήσει σε σπήλαιο, απ’ όπου προσηλύτισε άλλους ειδωλολάτρες των περιχώρων. Ο λαός συνέρρεε κοντά του για να ζητήσει την ευλογία του και με την ελπίδα πως ο Άγιος θα θεράπευε τις αρρώστιες τους.
Σύμφωνα με την απογραφή πληθυσμού που διενεργήθηκε στην Κύπρο το 2011 από τη Στατιστική Υπηρεσία του Υπουργείου Οικονομικών, ο πληθυσμός του Δήμου Αγίου Δομετίου ανέρχεται στις 12.456 άτομα.
ΙΣΤΟΡΙΚΑ ΣΤΟΙΧΕΙΑ ΤΟΥ ΔΗΜΟΥ
ΒΥΖΑΝΤΙΝΟ ΕΚΚΛΗΣΑΚΙ ΑΓΙΟΥ ΔΟΜΕΤΙΟΥ
Το εκκλησάκι του Αγίου Δομετίου είναι χτισμένο σε ένα ύψωμα από βράχους με κουφώματα στη νότια πλευρά του Δήμου και ήταν η πρώτη εκκλησία στον Άγιο Δομέτιο. Η εκκλησία είναι των Φραγκο-Βυζαντινών χρόνων, μονόκλιτη, με τρούλο ημισφαίριο.
ΕΚΚΛΗΣΙΑ ΑΓΙΟΥ ΓΕΩΡΓΙΟΥ
Η εκκλησία του Αγίου Γεωργίου βρίσκεται στο κέντρο του Δήμου. Είναι βυζαντινού ρυθμού, διατηρεί όμως και το ορθογώνιο σχήμα του ρυθμού βασιλικής. Είναι πετρόκτιστη και κτίστηκε το 1902. Το κωδωνοστάσιο κτίστηκε το 1947.
ΠΑΛΑΙΑ ΕΚΚΛΗΣΙΑ ΑΓΙΟΥ ΠΑΥΛΟΥ
Η παλαιά εκκλησία του Αγίου Παύλου είναι πετρόκτιστη κτισμένη σε ρυθμό βασιλικής με θόλο. Η εκκλησία αυτή κτίστηκε το 1805 περίπου, από τον Δραγομάνο της Κύπρου Χατζηγιωργάκη Κορνέσιο. Έχει μήκος 52 πόδια και πλάτος 25 πόδια.
ΝΕΑ ΕΚΚΛΗΣΙΑ ΑΓΙΟΥ ΠΑΥΛΟΥ
Η νέα εκκλησία Αγίου Παύλου χτίστηκε το 1985 μετά από ανάγκη που προέκυψε για μεγαλύτερη εκκλησία λόγω του ότι η παλιά εκκλησία Αγίου Παύλου κρίθηκε ανεπαρκής για τις λατρευτικές ανάγκες των πιστών. Η εκκλησία ανεγέρθηκε εις μνήμη και τιμή του Αποστόλου Παύλου και είναι βυζαντινού ρυθμού.
Η ιπποδρομία αναβίωσε στην Κύπρο από τα τέλη του 19ου αιώνα. Η Λέσχη Ιπποδρομιών Λευκωσίας είναι ο μόνος οργανισμός στην Κύπρο με εξουσιοδότηση να διοργανώνει ιπποδρομίες στην Κύπρο και να δέχεται αμοιβαία στοιχήματα για αυτές. Ο κυπριακός ιππόδρομος εδρεύει στον Άγιο Δομέτιο από το 1940.
ΟΔΟΦΡΑΓΜΑ ΑΓΙΟΥ ΔΟΜΕΤΙΟΥ
Στις 19 Μαΐου 2003 άνοιξε το οδόφραγμα του Αγίου Δομετίου που συνδέει τις ελεύθερες περιοχές με τα κατεχόμενα.
ΣΧΟΛΕΙΑ ΑΓΙΟΥ ΔΟΜΕΤΙΟΥ
Α΄ ΔΗΜΟΤΙΚΟ ΣΧΟΛΕΙΟ
Το 1926 άρχισε να λειτουργεί το πρώτο μεικτό δημοτικό σχολείο
Tο νηπιαγωγείο λειτουργεί σε ανεξάρτητο κτήριο, δίπλα από το δημοτικό και συστεγάζεται με το κοινοτικό νηπιαγωγείο.
Β’ ΔΗΜΟΤΙΚΟ ΣΧΟΛΕΙΟ
Το Β΄ Δημοτικό Σχολείο άρχισε τη λειτουργία του με την ανεξαρτησία της Κύπρου. Λειτούργησε για πρώτη χρονιά με 338 παιδιά και 9 δασκάλους. Τις σχολικές χρονιές 1982 – 1983 – 1984 λειτούργησε στον χώρο του Β΄ Δημοτικού και το Δ΄ Δημοτικό Αγίου Δομετίου με δικό του διευθυντή. χρησιμοποιείται από τότε από το ΓΥΜΝΑΣΙΟ Αγίου Δομετίου, γιατί το κτήριο του γυμνασίου, που τέλειωσε το 1974, βρίσκεται στην κατεχόμενη περιοχή.
Στον χώρο του Β΄ Δημοτικού Σχολείου συστεγάζεται και το Β΄ Δημόσιο Νηπιαγωγείο Αγίου Δομετίου
Συστεγάζονται επίσης σ’ αυτό τα γραφεία της Σχολικής Εφορείας Αγίου Δομετίου.
Γ’ ΔΗΜΟΤΙΚΟ ΣΧΟΛΕΙΟ
Το τρίτο Δημοτικό Σχολείο άρχισε τη λειτουργία του το 1960-61. Κατά την περίοδο της Τουρκικής εισβολής, το σχολικό κτήριο έπαθε μεγάλες ζημιές από βλήματα πυροβόλων και όλμων και έμεινε κλειστό για ένα χρόνο. Μετά την επαναλειτουργία του άνδρες της Ειρηνευτικής Δύναμης περιπολούσαν στην αυλή του σχολείου όλες τις εργάσιμες ώρες. Η σχολική αυλή συνορεύει με τη νεκρή ζώνη. Στο σχολείο εφαρμόζεται ο ενιαίος κύκλος. Στον ίδιο χώρο στεγάζεται το Γ΄ Δημόσιο Νηπιαγωγείο.
- ΣΩΜΑΤΕΙΟ ΑΠΟΛΛΩΝ
- ΣΩΜΑΤΕΙΟ Ε.Α.Σ
- ΕΘΝΙΚΟΣ ΣΥΛΛΟΓΟΣ ΜΑΥΡΟΜΜΑΤΗΣ
- ΣΩΜΑΤΕΙΟ ΜΑΡΚΟΣ ΔΡΑΚΟΣ ΑΓΙΟΥ ΔΟΜΕΤΙΟΥ
- ΠΟΛΙΤΙΣΤΙΚΟΣ ΣΥΛΛΟΓΟΣ «ΡΗΓΑΣ ΦΕΡΑΙΟΣ» ΑΓΙΟΥ ΔΟΜΕΤΙΟΥ ΚΑΙ ΈΓΚΩΜΗΣ
- ΚΥΝΗΓΕΤΙΚΟΣ ΣΥΛΛΟΓΟΣ ΑΡΤΕΜΙΣ ΑΓΙΟΥ ΔΟΜΕΤΙΟΥ
- ΑΘΛΗΤΙΚΟ ΣΩΜΑΤΕΙΟ ΑΝΑΓΕΝΝΗΣΗ ΑΓΙΟΥ ΔΟΜΕΤΙΟΥ
- ΠΟΝΤΙΑΚΟΣ ΣΥΛΛΟΓΟΣ ΜΕΤΑΜΟΡΦΩΣΗ.
- ΣΩΜΑΤΕΙΟ CHRISTODOULIDES JUDO ACADEMY
Τα Συστήματα Προσκόπων που υπάρχουν στον Δήμο Αγίου Δομετίου είναι τα εξής:
- 75ο Σύστημα Αεροπροσκόπων Αγίου Δομετίου
- 254ο Σύστημα Προσκόπων Αγίου Παύλου
- 91ο Σύστημα Προσκόπων Αγίου Ανδρέα
ΥΠΗΡΕΣΙΕΣ ΤΟΥ ΔΗΜΟΥ
ΓΡΑΦΕΙΟ ΕΞΥΠΗΡΕΤΗΣΗΣ ΔΗΜΟΤΩΝ
Tο Γραφείο Εξυπηρέτησης Δημοτών του Δήμου Αγίου Δομετίου δημιουργήθηκε ειδικά για την καλύτερη και ταχύτερη εξυπηρέτηση των δημοτών.
Τηλέφωνο Επικοινωνίας: 22 392000
Η Γραμματεία είναι μια ανεξάρτητη υπηρεσία του Δήμου, της οποίας ο κύκλος εργασιών κατά κύριο λόγο αφορά γραφειακής φύσεως εργασίες, οι οποίες είναι επαναλαμβανόμενες. Αναλαμβάνει επίσης τη διαδικασία τέλεσης πολιτικών γάμων.
Οι πιο κάτω εργασίες εκτελούνται ανάλογα με τις αποφάσεις του Δημοτικού Συμβουλίου, τις οδηγίες του Δημάρχου και του Δημοτικού Γραμματέα και σε σχέση με την καθημερινή εξέλιξη των εργασιών των υπόλοιπων τμημάτων του Δήμου.
Η Τεχνική Υπηρεσία επιλαμβάνεται θεμάτων που αφορούν τις οικοδομικές κατασκευές, επίβλεψη έργων και έχει την ευθύνη για την έκδοση αδειών οικοδομής. Χωρίζεται σε τρεις κατηγορίες ως ακολούθως:
- Yπηρεσία Γραφείου.
- Υπηρεσία Κατασκευών που εκτελούνται από το εργατικό προσωπικό του Δήμου.
Γ. Υπηρεσία Επίβλεψης Κατασκευών που εκτελούνται από εργολάβους.
Η Οικονομική Υπηρεσία περιλαμβάνει το λογιστήριο και τις φορολογίες. Η Οικονομική Υπηρεσία προγραμματίζει και διαχειρίζεται τις οικονομικές συναλλαγές του Δήμου σε συνεργασία με τις άλλες Δημοτικές Υπηρεσίες. Τηρεί όλους τους λογαριασμούς του Δήμου, διεκπεραιώνοντας τις επιμέρους διαδικασίες. Επίσης ελέγχει τις πληρωμές και τις εισπράξεις.
Ασχολείται με τον έλεγχο των δημόσιων και ιδιωτικών υποστατικών του Δήμου όσον αφορά τους κανονισμούς υγιεινής.
Στην Υγειονομική Υπηρεσία ανήκει η Υπηρεσία Καθαριότητας που έχει την ευθύνη για την περισυλλογή σκυβάλων, κλαδεμάτων και την καθαριότητα δρόμων, κεντρικών σημείων και της νεκρής ζώνης.
ΠΟΛΙΤΙΣΤΙΚΗ ΚΑΙ ΚΟΙΝΩΝΙΚΗ ΥΠΗΡΕΣΙΑ
Σχεδιάζει και υλοποιεί τους στόχους σχετικά με την πολιτιστική ανάπτυξη και τις κοινωνικές ανάγκες σύμφωνα με την πολιτιστική και κοινωνική πολιτική του Δήμου, διοργανώνοντας πολιτιστικές δραστηριότητες/εκδηλώσεις. Είναι επίσης αρμόδια και για τις πολιτιστικές υποδομές (π.χ χορωδία). Επισημαίνει κοινωνικές ανάγκες και παρέχει κοινωνικές υπηρεσίες σε ευάλωτες ομάδες του πληθυσμού, μέσα από στοχευμένα προληπτικά προγράμματα (π.χ. συμβουλευτική, βιωματικά εργαστήρια, διαλέξεις).
Προγράμματα κοινωνικής προσφοράς και πολιτισμού:
ΚΕΝΤΡΟ ΠΛΗΡΟΦΟΡΗΣΗΣ ΝΕΩΝ
Το Κέντρο Πληροφόρησης Νέων του Δήμου βρίσκεται στον πυρήνα. Είναι ένα έργο κοινωνικής προσφοράς που λειτουργεί από το 2009.Υπάρχουν προγράμματα για τη δημιουργική απασχόληση των παιδιών, εφήβων και ενηλίκων της περιοχής, όπως ζωγραφική, χορός, θέατρο, πιλάτες, μουσική,κ.ά.
Η βιβλιοθήκη στεγάζεται στο Δημοτικό Μέγαρο και λειτουργεί ως αναγνωστική και δανειστική.
ΜΟΝΑΔΑ ΥΠΟΣΤΗΡΙΞΗΣ ΥΠΗΡΕΣΙΩΝ
Η Μονάδα υποστηρίζει όλες τις υπηρεσίες του Δήμου σε τεχνικά θέματα. Στην Υπηρεσία αυτή υπάγονται οι τροχονόμοι και ο υπεύθυνος μηχανογράφησης.
ΚΕΝΤΡΟ ΠΑΡΟΧΗΣ ΚΟΙΝΩΝΙΚΩΝ ΥΠΗΡΕΣΙΩΝ (ΠΟΛΥΔΥΝΑΜΟ ΚΕΝΤΡΟ)
Το Πολυδύναμο Κέντρο συστάθηκε το 1999 ως αγαθοεργό ίδρυμα σύμφωνα με των περί Σωματείων και Ιδρυμάτων Νόμο του 1972, με πρωτοβουλία του Δήμου Αγ. Δομετίου. Λειτούργησε τον Σεπτέμβριο του 2005 με τα ήδη υφιστάμενα κοινωνικά προγράμματα του Δήμου. Στο Πολυδύναμο Κέντρο λειτουργούν το πρόγραμμα «Ημερήσιας Φροντίδας Ηλικιωμένων(Κέντρο Ενηλίκων)» και η «Παιδική Λέσχη». Ο Δήμος στηρίζει το Πολυδύναμο Κέντρο οικονομικά αλλά και μέσω των υπηρεσιών του και ιδιαίτερα μέσω της Πολιτιστικής και Κοινωνικής Υπηρεσίας συμβάλλοντας στην εύρυθμη λειτουργία του.
Ο Δήμος Αγίου Δομετίου έχει αδελφοποιηθεί με τον Δήμο Αγίου Νικολάου Κρήτης από το 1993 και με τον Δήμο Κορυδαλλού Αττικής, το 2005
Mayor: Andreas Konstantinou
Tel.: +357 22462233
Fax: +357 22455799
Municipality of Aglantzia
Aglantzia is an urban municipality situated in the central part of Cyprus next to the capital Nicosia. The history of Aglantzia dates back as far as 3888 B.C., but the Municipality itself was founded in May 1986.
The Municipality of Aglantzia is in near Nicosia, the capital of Cyprus. It is an indigenous municipality with an area of 31 square kilometers, of which 14 are agricultural land (occupied by Turkish troops since 1974).
Aglantzia has made much advancement during the last few years. Being spread out in the Greater Nicosia area, Aglantzia still has great development potential and, due to her big green spaces, it is justifiably called the green municipality of Cyprus. The residential area of Aglantzia is located on the highest attitude in Nicosia and the city of Aglantzia combines old with new with a unique renovated historic center.
During this time, in a spirit of understanding and cooperation and for the sole purpose of the progress and development of the Municipality, the Mayor and the Municipal Councils succeeded in accomplishing an important work that changed the face of Aglantzia.
The town has a population of 23,000 and its economy is mainly based on the Services sector (The University of Cyprus, the National television and many banks have their bases in Aglantzia). Aglantzia has been working on European projects, mainly in the field of intelligent energy and Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund.
Μr Charalambos Petrides was elected Mayor of Aglantzia in 2016 elections.
Possible themes for cooperation:
Annual activities: Aglantzia Festival (various cultural events), Aglantzia Jazz Festival , Carnival Parade
Points of interest: National Forest Park of Athalassa, the “Skali” Cultural Centre, the Campus of the University of Cyprus.
Projects of interest: e-government, intelligent energy, cultural activities, efficient waste management “Pay as you throw”, reviving old city center etc.
RESEARCH ACTIVITY: Municipality of Aglantzia participates in collaboration with University of Cyprus in Horizon 2020 – the Framework Programme for Research and Innovation HYBUILD will develop two innovative hybrid storage concepts: one for the Mediterranean climate primarily meant for cooling energy provision, and one for the Continental climate primarily meant for heating and DHW production.
EU EXTERNAL FUNDING (CENTRALISED AND DESENRALISED PROJECTS) FOR THE YEAR 2016 IN EURO: «Colorful Societies» – Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund
21, Geriou Avenue
2200 Geri, Nicosia
Mayor: Neophytos Papalazarou
Tel.: +357 22481755
Fax: +357 22480157
The municipality of Yeri is located 10 km south-east of the capital of Cyprus, Nicosia, and is about 4 km away from the University Campus, the Nicosia General Hospital and the National Park. Unfortunately, a part of the municipality has been occupied since 1974 whereas another smaller part is in the buffer zone.
At Yeri, tradition and modernization coexist harmonically. In the centre of the municipality one can see a picturesque neighbourhood with houses of “traditional architecture built of bricks”, narrow pathways and a paved square whereas in the periphery of the municipality houses and apartment buildings of modern architecture are being constructed.
Getting to know Yeri…
There are two well-known versions for the naming of the municipality. The first one is linked to the location of the municipality whereas the second one is related to the miraculous icon of Panayia Chrysoyeriotissa (“Panayia” in Greek means “Virgin Mary”).
According to the first version, the municipality was named “Yeri” because it is built on a windy hill (“ayeri” in Greek means wind). In the Great Cyprus Encyclopaedia, this version is substantiated as follows: “In Cyprus, the high peaks of windy mountains were called “aeras” or “aerides” (wind) whereas the windy hill was called “ayerin”. Consequently, the municipality was named Yeri which derives from “Ayerin”.
The second version is based on oral tradition. In particular, as it is often narrated by the elderly residents of the municipality, the naming of the municipality is related to the miraculous icon of Panayia Chrysoyeriotissa. Pregnant women of the municipality, full of faith, prayed to Panayia Chrysoyeriotissa so that they would give birth to healthy children.
During the medieval years, Ieri, as it is written in Venetian maps, belonged to feudal lords. Florios Voustronios, remarks that during the period 1464-1468 Yeri was a fief of Tangriwardi, Polo and Jean Zappo. As stated in the Great Cyprus Encyclopaedia, due to its large extent, a part of Yeri probably belonged to one feudal lord and another part to another feudal lord.
Until the 90’s, Yeri was a small village whose inhabitants’ main occupation was the breeding of goat-sheep, cows and to a less extent the cultivation of cereals and olive-trees. According to Gauntry, as Karouzis states, Yeri was well-known for the production of pumpkins.
Nowadays, most of the residents work in Nicosia and only a few of them are still occupied in stock breeding and agriculture.
It is worth mentioning that from the 90’s onwards an industrial zone is in operation which borders with the industrial area of Dali. The industries “produce bricks, plastics and animal and bird food”.
The Great Cyprus Encyclopaedia states “that there is no indication for the existence of a school prior to the English occupation”.
At present, two Public Nursery Schools, two Primary Schools and one Gymnasium (High-School) cover the educational needs of the Municipality. An important role for the upgrading of education is played by the School Supervision Committee. It takes care of the upgrading and improvement of school operation by promoting projects such as the construction of new classrooms, playgrounds and multiple-use rooms as well as equipping them with every modern teaching means. Also located in Yeri is the Special School “Evaggelismos”.
The most important population increase occurred after the Turkish invasion, as a result of the settling of a large number of refugees. The population of Yeri before 1974 numbered only a few hundreds but it increased to 2,500 people by 1982. The increase of the population that has been observed in the past few years is even more impressive and this is owed to the development that occurred in the wider area. More specifically, the population number today is almost four times larger than it was in 1982. A table is cited below containing the demographic characteristics of the municipality beginning since 1881 until today.
3 Erexthiou St.
Mayor: Zacharias Kyriacou
Tel.: +357 22453800
Fax: +357 22352521
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT MUNICIPALITY OF ENGOMI
Engomi is located three kilometers southwest of the capital of Nicosia (Lefkosia). It occupies an administrative area of about 9.5 square kilometers, of which one third is in the “dead zone”, near the area under the Turkish army control. Engomi became Municipality in 1986. Municipal Council consists of twelve Councilors and the Mayor, who are elected directly by the citizens every five years. The last local elections took place in 2016 and the current Municipal Council’s term expires in December 2021.
Town Hall of Engomi is located at 3, Erechtheiou Street, 2413 Engomi, where all the services of the Municipality are located, except for the warehouse, which is located inside the International State Fair.
Engomis’ name comes from the words «νέα» + «κώμη», which mean in Greek «new» and «village/town». Most likely is that Engomi was founded after 1567 and the demolition of the old Frankish walls of Nicosia and the nearby buildings (houses, churches, monasteries, etc.). Homeless citizens moved southwest of the center and, together with farmers in the surrounding areas, established a new village (Engomi).
Another version about Engomi’s name («εν» + «κώμη», meaning «inside» + «village») is based on the fact that the first known, recorded reference for Engomi is found in an Ottoman document dated in 1715, which is referred as Agios Dometios’s neighbourhood.
Old area of Engomi is located in the northwest of the old Saint Nicholas church. During the Ottoman domination and until the first half of the 20th century houses were built by mudbricks and rocks, which were transported from neighboring village “Gerolakkos” or from the hills of the area known today as “Mon Parnas”. Only few houses had a facade made entirely of stone, and no large mansions are testified in old Engomi. Engomi was a small rural community throughout the Ottoman domination, with agriculture and livestock farming as main citizens’ occupation. For both of these occupations, the suburb probably had the most suitable conditions due to the appropriate and fertile soil and the abundant, wild vegetation of the Makedonitissa area and Nicosia International Airport area. In lands of Engomi there is, in short depth, abundant groundwater, which in combination with Pedieos river water, was sufficient to irrigate the area.
History of Engomi is directly connected with the two monasteries, Saint Prokopios Monastery (also known as “Metochion of the Holy Monastery of Kykkos”) and Panagia (Virgin Mary) Makedonitissa Monastery. Both Monasteries owned large land of Engomi and permanently employed several residents. With the residential and commercial development of the area, there was the need for the construction of two new parish churches, new Saint Nicholas church and All Saints church, while several citizens participates in worship at Saint Pantaleon church, which is located in neighboring Lakatameia.
An important point of reference in Engomi is the Tomb of Makedonitissa, a military cemetery and a monument in honor of the Greek and Greek Cypriots who defeated the Freedom of Cyprus during the Turkish invasion of 1974.
Engomi experienced significant growth and population growth over the last decades. The first information for its inhabitants is of 1831 from an Ottoman source, according to which 72 male (51 Christians and 21 Muslims) lived in Engomi. At the beginning of the British occupation, the first demographic report reported 172 inhabitants, while the subsequent urbanization resulted in a steady increase in the population of about 18,000 inhabitants today.
An important role in the general development of the city (population and commercial and economic) during the 20th century was played by Nicosia International Airport, which was erected a few years before the Second World War in the area of Makedonitissa and Gerolakkos and remained in operation until the Turkish invasion of 1974.
After Cyprus Independence, and especially after 1980, Engomi grows very rapidly in all sectors (especially trade, services and sports) and evolves into one of the most modern and most developed municipalities of greater Nicosia. Progress is also worthwhile in the area of education, since at its limits two of the four private Universities of Cyprus are located (University of Nicosia and European University of Cyprus). Engomi has become an area with many leisure centers, restaurants, cafes, discos, hotels and remarkable medical centers (public and private).
In a specially arranged area of 270,000 sq. meters, International State Fair of Cyprus is located, whose annual exhibition was the most important trade event of Cyprus in the previous years. In the area of Makedonitissa is also located the complex of Makareio Sports Centre, which includes important sports facilities such as Makareio Stadium, “Eleftheria-Tassos Papadopoulos” Sport Hall and “Lefkotheo” Sport Hall, Cyprus Tennis Center, Cyprus Federation Archery Facilities and the headquarters of the Cyprus Sports Organisation (KOA).
Several governmental offices and major foreign embassies, such as the United States of America, the Russian Federation, the People’s Republic of China, India, Italy, Bulgaria, Ukraine, and Egypt, are located also in Engomi.
Mayor: Leontios Kallenos
Tel.: +357 22 444888
Fax: +357 22 444889
Dali in our days
Dali is located in the Nicosia District. It is located approximately in the center of the island, 17 km from Nicosia, 23 km from Larnaca and 50 km from Limassol. Its area covers 31 sq. Km and consists of two residential areas, the Panagia Evangelistria Parish and the Parish of Saints Constantine and Helen, the Industrial Zone, the Livestock Zone and the Agricultural Zones. The number of residents currently stands at around 12,000.
In 1996, after a referendum, Dali became the 24th Municipality of Cyprus, the Municipality of Dali.
At first the modern Dali was built on the southern side of the river Idalia (Yiallias), today’s Panagia Evangelistria parish. Since 1983 a new settlement has been created on the north-eastern border of Idalion, which borders with Latsia and Geri, the Parish of Saints Constantine and Helen.
The Industrial Zone was established in 1981 and is located along the Nicosia Limassol highway, bordering with Pera Chorio-Nisou, Latsia and Geri. Due to its geographical location the Industrial Area has developed very fast, being today one of the largest industrial areas in Cyprus.
The inhabitants of Dali have always been concerned with agro-livestock farming and various other crops due to fertile soil. Dali currently holds the first place nationwide in milk production. This production exceeds 130,000 liters of milk per day. The main occupations of the inhabitants at present are agro-livestock farming, construction work, various small and medium-sized enterprises or they work in private and state services.
In Dali the following churches and temples are maintained and operated: the Metropolitan Church of Panagia Evagelistria, Saints Constantine and Helen church, Saints Andronikos and Athanasia church, Saint Theodoros church, Saint Artemios church and the Byzantine churches of Saint Georgios the Tropeoforos, Saint Mamas and Saint Dimitrianos of Agridioto. Since 2007, the Holy Metropolis of Trimithoundos has its seat in Dali. The mosque in the center of the community testifies the co-existence of Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots before the Turkish invasion of 1974. The Mosque was renovated in 2006 and today is operated to serve foreign citizens residing in Dali and surrounding communities.
As the capital of the surrounding area, Dali operates a Regional Health Center, which serves communities in the wider region of more than 30,000 inhabitants.
Education has a long tradition in Dali. The first elementary school was founded by Papa-Chrysanthos Oikonomos, who was born in 1809 or 1810 in Dali and served for many years as a priest in Dali and Larnaca. In 1841, the church of Saints Andronikos and Athanasia was erected by his personal donations of property and money, and in 1858, with the donation of a privately owned building next to the church of Saints Andronikos and Athanasia, he founded the first elementary school.
Education is one of the first development goals for the city of Idalion (Dali). The Municipal Authority supports the city’s educational institutions in a variety of ways.
Nowadays in Dali there are seven kindergarten schools, three primary schools and a Lyceum school.
Since 1966, the Municipal Library has also been supporting the education sector. Today, the Municipal Library has over 12,000 books and numbers 2,000 members.
The cultural and intellectual development of the Municipality has always been on very high levels. Many citizens of Dali have stand out in the fields of education, literature, poetry, music, sports, theater and the fine arts.
The cultural activity of both the Municipality of Dali and its citizens through other organized organizations and associations, with a long, rich, multifaceted and qualitative tradition, demonstrates the high livelihood, spiritual and social level of the city.
Within the support of the cultural development of Idalion, the Municipality of Dali has erected an open-air amphitheater of 1060 seats, next to the eastern acropolis of Ancient Idalion.
The Municipality of Idalion is twinned with three European cities: Combs-la-Ville in France since 1978, Acharnes in Greece since 2008 and Orte in Italy since 2013. In 2014, the Municipality of Dali signed a protocol of cultural cooperation with the city of Wieliszew in Poland.
The main characteristic of the inhabitants of Idalion is their diligence, friendly mood, hospitality and the intense effort to preserve our historical, folklore and cultural tradition.
Visitors today have the opportunity to tour in three themes: the Historical Route, the Religious Route and the Cultural Route, as well as entertain in traditional or modern recreation areas.
History of Idalion
According to tradition, Idalion was one of the Kingdoms of Cyprus. It was founded by the hero of the Trojan War, Halkanora. According to tradition, Halkanoras, whose origin was from the town of Amykles near Sparta, as he was returning from Troy, where he took part in the siege, he arrived in Cyprus near Salamina. There, an oracle told him to travel with his army and where he would see the sun rising to build his own city.
So Halkanoras with his army left from Engomi / Alasia and arrived at the place where he founded the city of Dali (where he saw the sun rising).
The founding of the city according to the finds dates back to 1200 BC.
Before the 12th century BC (1650-1050 BC), on the south and southwest side of the river there were settlements of the last copper age. The ancient tombs that have been found testify that the city of Idalion has been inhabited continuously since the 12th century BC. century until the end of Roman times, around 400 AD. From inscriptions and coins it’s also concluded that the Greek element dominated the city of Dali.
The point where the city of Idalion was built was of great importance. It was built in such a way that it covered two hills to the south and the plain to the north towards the riverbed of the Yiallias river. The cover of the two hills was a natural fortress, and the river was vital to the inhabitants of Idalion. Of great importance, apart from the river and the fertile land, was the proximity of the town with copper-bearing areas (Mathiati and Sia villages). At some stage, copper was one of the main occupations of the inhabitants of Dali.
In both hills were the eastern and western acropolis. On the east acropolis there was the temple of Aphrodite and Apollo Amyclaus. In the west, which was the main acropolis, there was the temple of Athena, which was also the patron goddess of the city. The temple of Athena was destroyed around 470 BC. when the city was conquered by the Phoenician kings of Kition.
Underneath the two citadels to the north there was the city, surrounded by walls and it was estimated to cover an area of about 100 km2. The oldest part of the walls is estimated to have been built during the 7th-6th century BC.
In other parts of the city there were temples devoted to other deities, a total of 14 temples are mentioned.
During the reign of Stasikipros, the city of Dali was besieged by the inhabitants of Kition (Phoenicians) with the help of the Medes (Persians). An important documentary evidence of the siege of Dali from Kition around 470 BC. is the famous “Plate of Idalion”, a bronze plaque with an engraved inscription on Cypro-Syllabic script found on the western acropolis. It is the earliest written agreement that has been found and refers to the land property of the king, the city and the church, the succession, the taxation of income from the earth, and the protection of the title of property with guarantors being the king, the city and the patron goddess of the city.
From the contents of the plate it is also concluded that the city of Idalion retained a sort of democratic system where the king ruled together with the Council of the Archons until the conquest of the city by the Phoenicians of Kition around the middle of the 5th century BC.
After the conquest of the city by the Phoenicians, in 312 BC. the city was conquered by the Ptolemaic Kingdom based in Egypt by Ptolemy I Soter (the successor of Alexander the Great), who abolished all the Cypriot kingdoms. Thence forward Cyprus has been part of the Ptolemaic Kingdom and later a province of the Roman Empire. In the Roman period (58 BC -330 AD) Idalion, in written sources, is being referred as a town.
In Roman times small fields and large agricultural farms are being created, until the first Byzantine years, where people called “pariki” cultivate the land on behalf of the state or the church.
There are also “deputies” who are obliged to deliver the fruit of the land to their masters. During the later Byzantine years, 800-1191 AD small landowners disappear. At this stage there is only state land, ecclesiastical land, monastic land and noble land.
During the Byzantine and Frankish era, the biggest problem faced by the inhabitants of Cyprus was the raids by the Saracens (Arabs), who swept the Mediterranean and looted the cities of Cyprus. In particular, according to Leontios Machairas, the Saracens occupied Dali in 1426 AD.
From 1191-1489 AD the Crusaders and the Lusignans come to Cyprus, who adopt the feudal system, a regime based on the social order without interest in individual rights. At this time the land is gathered in the hands of the King of Franks, the nobles, the knights and the Latin church. Thus, in 1474 AD Dali, along with other villages, was given by the queen of Cyprus Catherine Cornaro to the nobleman Georgios Kontarini.
The Ottoman Empire follows, where we see an increase in ecclesiastic and Muslim property. The fear of Greeks and Turks from raids led them to make donations of their estates to the churches to protect them. The result of this situation was the creation of large rural areas in the area, since the Sultan gave fertile land to prominent military officers or administrators from Turkey.
From 1878 until 1960, the British Empire conquers the island until 1960, when Cyprus was proclaimed an independent democracy.
Idalion until 1974 was a mixed village ( Greek-Cypriots and Turkish-Cypriots living together), but after the Turkish invasion, the Turkish Cypriot residents left the village, except a few families, and went to the occupied areas of the island. From the battles of 1963 and the Turkish invasion of 1974, Idalion numbered 21 dead and missing.
During the Turkish invasion of 1974, 29 men held captive in Adana (Turkey) were released after the end of the war.
Municipality under turkish occupation since 1974
Mayor: Dr. Petros M. Kareklas
Tel.: +357 22438956
Fax: +357 22438955
Kythrea is located about 12 km northeast of Nicosia, at the southern outskirts of the Pentadaktylos mountain range, and at the northern border of the Mesaoria plain. The Municipality of Kythrea was founded in 1915, with Nicolaos Kattamis as its first mayor. Its extensive municipal boundaries include six parishes: that of Chrysida, Agia Marina, Agios Andronikos, Agios Georgios, Chardakiotissa and Syrkania. In 1974, the Greek Cypriot population of Kythrea was estimated at about 4,500. The town even had three elementary schools, as well as one high school. The town hall was located at the borders of the Agios Andronikos and Agios Georgios parishes. At present, the temporary offices of the Municipality of Kythrea are to be found within the Nicosia walls, near the Famagusta Gate. The town was well known for the magnificent Kefalovrysos, the largest spring water source in Cyprus, which flowed out of the northern parish of Syrkania. Since the period of the Venetian occupation, the Kefalovrysos water, which originated from the Pentadaktylos aquifer, powered 32 watermills, as well as irrigated the fields of Kythrea and the crops of the surrounding area. During antiquity, and up to the Middle Ages, it also supplied Salamis, which was once the capital of Cyprus, with water. Since 1974, the churches of Kythrea have been systematically vandalised and destroyed. The two churches of the upper parishes, Syrkania and Chardakiotissa, were respectively dedicated to Agia Anna and the Virgin Mary (Panagia). The church of the Virgin Mary, which was the largest in the town, has now been turned into a mosque. In the southern parish of Chrysida, the church of the Holy Cross has become a handicraft workshop, while the chapel of Apostle Loukas is dilapidated. Agia Marina, located in the homonymous parish, is used for dance classes, while the monastery of the Virgin Mary (Theotokou) in the homonymous district (part of the Agia Marina parish) is in a military zone. The church of Agios Georgios in the homonymous district is also in a military zone, and it has been turned into a munitions depot. Finally, the church of Agios Andronikos and Agia Athanasia in the parish of Agios Andronikos has suffered inestimable destruction, as the roof has collapsed and the interior is at the mercy of the varying weather conditions. Projects that aim to salvage the damage are now being planned by the bi-communal Technical Committee on Cultural Heritage, as a result of the Kythrea Municipality’s intense efforts. Kythrea also has several other chapels. Kythrea was inhabited since the Neolithic period, around 4,000 BC. Chytroi is referred to in the 7th century BC as one of the ten ancient kingdoms of Cyprus, while it seems that the city experienced great prosperity during the Hellenistic and Roman period, with inscriptions testifying to the existence of a high school. The 2.08 metre statue of the Roman emperor Septimius Severus, which is currently in the Cyprus Museum, was discovered in the Agios Demetrianos area in 1928 and is the largest bronze statue that has been found on the island. It is also important that the aqueduct, which carried water from Chytroi to Salamis, is dated from the Roman period. During the Byzantine period, Kythrea became the bishopric of Chytroi. The greatest religious figure of the time was Agios Demetrianos, the Bishop of Chytroi, who managed to repatriate his congregants after being held captive in Baghdad by the Arabs in the 10th century. It is for this reason that he is considered the Holy Guardian of Refugees. Following the Arab raids, the city was built west of its original position, along the flow of the Kefalovrysos water in the valley. In earlier times, Kythrea was renowned for its production of silk, its weaving and woodcarving, as well as its flour milling industry. It was also known for its cultivation of citrus fruits and its limestone production, as it was surrounded by quarries and limestone manufacturing areas. The town was justly reputed to be a “daskalomana” (mother of teaching), as many intellectuals and educators were born there, as well as doctors, lawyers and other scientists.
Mayor: Dr Photoula Hadjipapa
Tel.: +357 22364000
Fax: +357 22380688
Lakatamia is situated in the Southwest perimeter of Greater Nicosia, and its main characteristic is Pedieos River which runs 5 kilometers through the land of Lakatamia. Lakatamia has an attitute of 280 meters, and the land that was once used by farmers is now full of houses.
Lakatamia evolved in its present condition after the tragic events of 1974, when Turkey invaded Cyprus and occupied 35% of the island’s territory. Lakatamia, being on the outer perimeter of Greater Nicosia and at a relatively safe distance from the confrontation line, received a big wave of refugees from all the Turkish occupied areas. The refugees were housed in state refugee settlements or obtained accommodation under private self-housing schemes. This, in combination with the general trend of people from the villages close to the capital to move to areas in the suburbs of Nicosia, resulted into the population explosion that made Lakatamia to grow rapidly, turning it from a village of 5,000 citizens to a city of 45,000 citizens.
There are no convincing historical evidence with regard to the origin of the name “Lakatamia”. There are only a few speculations as from where Lakatamia’s name derives from.
The most probable origin of the name, is connected with the many “alakatia” (water wheels) that existed in Lakatamia and were used to draw the abundant underground water from the springs. It is believed that there were more than 80 wells (“alakatia”) in Lakatamia, and that’s why the area is called Lakatamia (“alakatia”-“Alakatamia”-“Lakatamia” The “alakati” is today the emblem of Lakatamia’s Municipality.
Another speculation, as from where Lakatamia took its name, is that the name was originally “Lakedemon” as the name of ancient Sparta and it was paraphrased through the years and ended up as Lakatamia.
Lakatamia is today one of the seven Municipalities of Greater Nicosia with a population of about 45,000. It extends to an area of 29 sq. km and has boundaries with Strovolos, Latsia, Engomi and Tseri Municipalities, and also with Deftera, Ayious Trimithias and Paliometoxo.
Lakatamia was declared a municipality on February 23rd of 1986 after a referendum in which the 86% of the population gave a positive vote. The first Municipal elections took place on May 22nd 1986. Today the Municipality is administered by the Mayor and 22 Municipal Counselors, who get elected for a period of 5 years.
After being declared a municipality Lakatamia was, for administrative purposes, divided into the following four parishes:
- Ayias Paraskevis,
- Ayiou Nicholaou,
- Ayiou Mamantos
According to the Municipalities Law the Municipality has jurisdiction for the following:
- Implementation of the Town and Country Planning Law within its boundaries
- Construction, maintenance, cleaning, lighting, and free use of roads and bridges
- Naming of streets
- Construction and maintenance of rain water and sewer drainage systems
- Cleanliness and health condition within its boundaries and solid waste collection management
- Good appearance of the town and protection and improvement of the natural environment
- Safeguarding of Public health and food hygiene.
Contrary to other Municipalities, Lakatamia Municipality has its own water supply (Lakatamia Water Board). It has jurisdiction over the water supply and sees to the construction, maintenance and functioning of water supply systems within its boundaries.
Lakatamia Municipality is committed to contribute, with respect, efficiency, consistency and professionalism, its services to the citizens, to organize cultural and other events, to plan and complete projects that aim at upgrading the environment, and ensuring the best possible quality of life for its citizens. All of the above have always been a priority for all the Municipal Councils that governed Lakatamia.
Culture is the most powerful link which binds people together in a community. The creation of culture has always been a high priority of the municipal authorities. In spite of their insufficient resources, they have invested a large amount of money in works which will bring people together and through such contact promote community feeling.
Lakatamia’s Municipal amphitheatre was the first big project that was completed after Lakatamia was declared a Municipality.
The inauguration of the amphitheatre, took place in 1994 and it has a capacity of 1,600 spectators. Since then, the amphitheatre is being used as a cultural center, especially during the summer months.
The theater is offered for:
- Theatrical Performances
- Musical Performances
- Dancing Performances
- Film Projections
- General Assemblies
- School Performances
In 1996, under the Municipal Amphitheatre, a wonderful Municipal Gallery was built. Equipped with all the facilities necessary for the needs of various events, the gallery is offered for:
- Painting, Sculpturing and Photography exhibitions
- LecturesOther functions
Pediaios Linear Park
One of the greatest achievements of the Municipality is the Pediaios Linear Park. The creation of the pedestrian and bicycle path and the lush planting along the bed of the Pediaios river, make it unique and give the residents the opportunity to escape from their day to day activities and to walk or cycle in a beautifully landscaped environment.
In addition to the pedestrian and bicycle paths, parallel to the main pedestrian path, another path was created in order to accommodate people with pets. Two pedestrian bridges were also constructed on the Pediaios river in order to link the eastern and western areas of the town.
The development of a modern athletics center, that would offer the citizens of Lakatamia the opportunity to exercise, was the Municipality’s second priority. The Municipal Athletic Center, includes a stadium and a swimming pool.
The Municipal Stadium, which was established in 2000 includes, among other facilities, a football field, tracks, and installations for classical sports and other athletic events.
The Municipal Swimming Pool was established in 2001. It hosts thousands of swimmers who can enjoy the water in a clean, cool and pleasant environment. The Municipal Swimming pool has 3 pools, one of which is made with Olympic standards.
The construction and operation of the Health Center is a result of long period efforts from the Municipal council. Lakatamia’s Health Centre provides first degree medical care.
The Multidynamic Centre is located next to the Health Centre. It offers infrastructures for the daily care and productive occupation of the elderly. Since the first year of its operation the Centre attracted the interest of many people, who choose from a variety of programmes which include different activities, like dance, art, gardening and physical activities. Elderly citizens find, at the Multidynamic centre, a place where they can socialize and remain useful and productive.
Lakatamia Open School
Lakatamia Open School operates in the Municipality of Lakatamia since 2009 and it’s applied in co-operation with the Ministry of Education, the Municipality and the Local School Boards. The Open School (which operates under the Lakatamia Multidynamic Center) serves the purpose of lifelong learning and creates the conditions for the highest possible use of school facilities for educational, recreational, cultural and other activities for both children and adults.
Lakatamia Open School is one of the biggest in Cyprus and its training programs are held in the morning, in the afternoon and at night in order to accommodate the educational needs of the residents.
57 Yiannou Kranidiotis Ave, 2235
Mayor: Christos Pittaras
Tel.: +357 22878688
Fax: +357 22487213
Τα παλαιότερα ίχνη πολιτισμού στα Λατσιά εντοπίζονται σε μια μικρή κατασκευή και μια δεξαμενή, οι οποίες χρονολογούνται στην Ελληνιστική περίοδο (325-50 π.Χ.). Ωστόσο, δεν υπάρχουν άλλα στοιχεία που να υποστηρίξουν ότι τα Λατσιά ήταν οικισμός κατά την εποχή εκείνη. Πρέπει, επομένως, να αναζητήσουμε τις καταβολές τους πίσω στο Μεσαίωνα. Τα Λατσιά ήταν πιθανότατα μεγάλο φέουδο κατά τη Φραγκοκρατία (1192-1489) και την Ενετοκρατία (1489-1570)· αυτό διασώζει η προφορική παράδοση, η οποία ενισχύεται από χάρτες των σχετικών περιόδων. Το 1571, όταν οι Οθωμανοί κατέλαβαν την Κύπρο, τα Λατσιά έγιναν τσιφλίκι (κτήμα, μεγάλο τεμάχιο γης που καλλιεργούνταν από τους ντόπιους και ανήκε σε ένα πλούσιο Τούρκο, τον επονομαζόμενο αγά) και, εικάζεται ότι (σύμφωνα με την προφορική παράδοση), ο πυκνός πληθυσμός αφανίστηκε από τους κατακτητές.
Το 1790, ο Κιόρογλου, ο αγάς αρκετών περιοχών (Αγλαντζιά, Γέρι, Δάλι, Δευτερά, Λατσιά, Παλλουριώτισσα, Στρόβολος, Χρυσοσπηλιώτισσα και Ψημολόφου) – και, σύμφωνα με τον εθνικό μας ποιητή, Βασίλη Μιχαηλίδη, προσωπικός φίλος του Αρχιεπισκόπου Κυπριανού – αποφάσισε να πουλήσει ένα από τα τσιφλίκια του στους ανθρώπους που το καλλιεργούσαν, επειδή ήταν περισσότερο από ευχαριστημένος από τη δουλειά τους, και επίσης από τα «δώρα» τους, που περιελάμβαναν πισσώδη καυσόξυλα από πεύκο. Πρέπει, εν τούτοις, να λάβουμε υπόψη και τις συνεχείς ξηρασίες και σκωριάσεις, τη μειωμένη παραγωγή των καλλιεργειών και την ανεντιμότητα μερικών δούλων, παράγοντες οι οποίοι συνέβαλαν στην απόφασή του να πωλήσει το τεμάχιο. Φαίνεται πως ο Κιόρογλου αποφάσισε να συνδυάσει την καλοσύνη με την πώληση. Οι γεωργοί ήσαν χωρικοί από το Λυθροδόντα, ένα μεγάλο χωριό γύρω στα 21 Χμ (13 μίλια) νοτιοδυτικά της Λευκωσίας. Έπρεπε να επιλέξουν ανάμεσα στα Λατσιά και το Κουπάτι, μια περιοχή στο κεντροανατολικό μέρος της Λευκωσίας. Επέλεξαν τα Λατσιά, καθώς ήταν πιο κοντά στο Λυθροδόντα αλλά, επίσης, επειδή ήταν αρκετά μεγαλύτερα και πιο εύφορα, επιτρέποντάς τους να καλλιεργούν κάθε είδους γεωργικά προϊόντα.
Έτσι, δεκαέξι (16) Ελληνοκύπριοι και ένας Τουρκοκύπριος καδής (αρχιδικαστής), που ονομαζόταν Κιουφής, αγόρασαν τα Λατσιά, μια περιοχή 11.600 σκάλων (1 σκάλα = 1.337,8 τετρ. μέτρα ή 14.400 τετρ. πόδια) για την τιμή των 14 πουγκιών (ένα πουγκί άξιζε 500 ριάλια, τα λεφτά της εποχής). Ο Κιουφής προσέφερε το ένα πέμπτο της τιμής και το χωριό διαχωρίστηκε σε είκοσι (20) τεμάχια, τέσσερα (4) για τον Κιουφή και ένα (1) για κάθε Ελληνοκύπριο. Ο Κιουφής, κατέχοντας σημαντική περιουσία στο Λυθροδόντα, τους βοήθησε για να διασφαλίσουν την ασφάλειά τους στα Λατσιά και επίσης τους βοήθησε όταν οι απόγονοι του Κιόρογλου έγειραν αξίωση για το τσιφλίκι. Αυτοί οι δεκαεφτά άνθρωποι αναζωογόνησαν τον οικισμό, ένα χωριουδάκι για την ακρίβεια, ερχόμενοι το φθινόπωρο (Οκτώβριο και Νοέμβριο) για να σπείρουν σιτάρι και να φυτέψουν ελαιόδεντρα και το καλοκαίρι (Μάιο μέχρι Αύγουστο) για να μαζέψουν τη σοδειά, να θερίσουν και να αλωνίσουν, και να μαζέψουν τις ελιές. Παρόλα αυτά, επέλεξαν να μην κατοικούν στα Λατσιά, όχι μόνο επειδή θεωρούσαν το Λυθροδόντα καλύτερο και πιο ασφαλές μέρος (το επονομαζόμενο «μικρό Παρίσι»), αλλά επίσης επειδή δεν υπήρχε εκπαιδευτική και δομική υποδομή στο χωριό. Μόνο μια χούφτα ανθρώπων παρέμεναν στα Λατσιά, με σκοπό να καλλιεργούν το σιτάρι και να σιγουρεύονται πως όλα ήταν εν τάξει. Ο Κιουφής χάρισε μέρος της γης του στον αδερφό του, ο οποίος – με τη σειρά του – το πώλησε σε έξι (6) Ελληνοκύπριους για την τιμή ενός πουγκιού ανά 100 σκάλες. Οι έξι αυτοί άνδρες διέμεναν μόνιμα στα Λατσιά, με σκοπό να διεκπεραιώνουν τις γεωργικές εργασίες και τις εργασίες επιδιόρθωσης. Στις 30 Απριλίου 1909 (δύο χρόνια μετά το θάνατο του Κιουφή), οι τέσσερις κληρονόμοι πώλησαν τα κτηματικά δικαιώματά τους σε οχτώ (8) Ελληνοκύπριους για την τιμή των £350. Είναι συχνό να βρίσκουμε μικροτοπωνύμια σχετιζόμενα με τους πρώτους αγοραστές.
Στα μέσα του 19ου αιώνα, μερικοί από τους ιδιοκτήτες άρχισαν να εγκαθίστανται στα Λατσιά, όχι μόνο επειδή η γη ήταν πιο εύφορη, αλλά λόγω και της εγγύτητας των Λατσιών προς τη Λευκωσία – το κέντρο της οικονομικής και εμπορικής ζωής του νησιού – ούτως ώστε να μπορούν να πωλούν τα προϊόντα τους πιο εύκολα. Ωστόσο, δεν ήταν μέχρι το 1930 που ιδρύθηκε Δημοτικό σχολείο. Πρωτύτερα, τα παιδιά έπρεπε να παρακολουθούν σχολείο είτε στο Λυθροδόντα είτε στο Γέρι, ένα γειτονικό χωριό. Αρκετά σπίτια από τα τέλη του 19ου και αρχές του 20ου αιώνα μπορούν να βρεθούν στην παλιά περιοχή των Λατσιών. Επειδή το κύριο εισόδημα των Λυθροδοντιατών προερχόταν από την ελαιοπαραγωγή, άρχισαν να φυτεύουν όλο και περισσότερα ελαιόδεντρα στα Λατσιά.
Μετά το Β’ Παγκόσμιο Πόλεμο, όλο και περισσότεροι Λυθροδοντιάτες άρχισαν να μετοικούν στα Λατσιά, μαζί με τις μεγάλες οικογένειές τους, έτσι ο πληθυσμός συνέχισε να αυξάνεται. Η Τουρκική εισβολή και η συνεχιζόμενη κατοχή ανάγκασαν 185.000 – 200.000 Κύπριους να καταστούν πρόσφυγες στην ίδια τους τη χώρα, καθιστώντας αναγκαίο το κτίσιμο πολυάριθμων προσφυγικών από την κυβέρνηση σε όλο το νησί. Τρεις απ’ αυτούς κτίστηκαν στα Λατσιά (συν μια προσφυγική αυτοστέγαση), αυξάνοντας τον πληθυσμό δραματικά. Αυτό, σε συνδυασμό με τη γενική τάση του κόσμου από το κέντρο της Λευκωσίας και χωρία κοντά στην πρωτεύουσα να μετακινούνται στις περιοχές των προαστείων της Λευκωσίας, είχε ως αποτέλεσμα την πληθυσμιακή έκρηξη που έκανε τα Λατσιά μια κωμόπολη που συνεχίζει να αυξάνεται ραγδαία.
Mayor: Konstantinos Giorkadjis
Tel.: +357 22797000
Fax: +357 22663363
Η Λευκωσία, η πρωτεύουσα της Κύπρου, μια από τις πιο αρχαίες πόλεις στην περιοχή αυτή του κόσμου είναι σήμερα μια κοσμοπολίτικη πρωτεύουσα στην ανατολική Μεσόγειο, πλούσια σε ιστορία και πολιτισμό που συνδυάζεται της με τους γρήγορους ρυθμούς μιας σύγχρονης πόλης.
Η καρδιά της πόλης βρίσκεται εντός των τειχών που έκτισαν το 16ο αιώνα οι Βενετοί και περιλαμβάνει ενδιαφέροντα μουσεία και εκθεσιακούς χώρους, βυζαντινές εκκλησιές, μεσαιωνικά και νεοκλασικά κτίρια, στενά δρομάκια και διατηρεί τη ρομαντική ατμόσφαιρα του παρελθόντος. Έξω από τα τείχη η νέα πόλη με τις σύγχρονες ανέσεις, ζει στους κοσμοπολίτικους ρυθμούς μιας σύγχρονης ευρωπαϊκής πρωτεύουσας.
Municipality under turkish occupation since 1974
16 Zynonos Sozou
Mayor: Victor Hadjavraam
Tel.: +357 22447333, +357 22447334
Fax: +357 22762015
The Morphou Municipality was established in 1883 and is one of the oldest municipalities in Cyprus. The lovely small town of Morphou is built in the western central valley of Cyprus near Serrahis River and an area of approximately 5.636 acres comes under its administrative jurisdiction. The population of Morphou is currently estimated from 10 to 12 thousands.
Morphou was inhabited since the ancient times, which is evidenced from the numerous settlements that have been discovered and excavated in the town’s surrounding area giving, therefore a testimony of its rich history and great culture. According to the most valid theory about the origin of Morphou’s place name, this is related to the goddess Aphrodite, as one of the goddess’ names has been Morpho, which was how the goddess was worshiped in the ancient Greek world, mainly in Laconia in Peloponnese. This theory connects, consequently, Morphou to the Laconians, who settled possibly in the western part of the big central valley of our island.
The small town of Morphou experienced a big growth mainly due to its prospering economy because of its arable land and the endless citrus plantations in the area. These sources made Morphou the leading town in culture, letters, arts and sports.
However, on 16th August 1974 upon completion of the second round of the Turkish invasion of Cyprus, Morphou was, unfortunately, conquered by the Turkish occupying forces. The legitimate inhabitants of the area were forced to leave their home and to move to the southern areas of Cyprus. Since then, the Morphou Municipality has been devoted to the struggle for a fair and viable solution to the Cyprus Problem in order to enable all the displaced people to go back to their fatherland.
From 1974 onwards, our Municipality has considered the struggle for return and justice its priority. Morphou Municipality becomes also active in culture-related events but also in our country’s religious traditions aiming at keeping alive our occupied land’s memory.
As part of such activities, our Municipality has so far twinned with nine Municipalities: five Municipalities in Greece (Sparta, Kalavryta, Ermoupoli, Orestiada and Missolonghi) one Municipality in France (Saint Cyr Sur Loire) one Municipality in the United Kingdom (Barnet) and one Municipality in Malta (Zurrieq). Last but not least in 2008 the Morphou Municipality twinned with the Muncipality of Slovenj Gradec in Slovenia.
Despite the problems experienced by our Municipality, we are pleased to say that all our nine twinned cities are absolutely active. We are constantly and regularly in contact with these nine Municipalities and despite the fact we are twinned with some of these towns for more than 20 years, the friendship ties have become stronger instead of being damaged in so far that we feel them like our real brothers.
Our Municipality participates in almost all the big events organized by our twinned towns and we have launched many events (cultural, photography, youth exchanges, dancing groups, choirs and so on and so forth) in all the above stated towns without exception. On the other hand, all the nine twinned towns honour with their presence our annual event against the Turkish occupation, joining forces to ours in the struggle for freedom and justice, while they have been invited and participated in many other cultural events organized by our Municipality in Cyprus.
Further to the twinning with the above nine towns, the Morphou Municipality has concluded exceptional relationship with many other towns too, while participating in international and other organizations. Our Municipality enjoys membership in the Network of Cities Aphrodite and in the United Nations Peace Messenger Cities chaired by our Municipality.
Mayor: Andreas Papacharalambous
Tel.: +357 22470470
Fax: +357 22470400
The Municipality of Strovolos was established in 1986 and is the second largest Municipality in Cyprus after Limassol, with a population of over 70.000 inhabitants.
There are references to Strovolos or Strovilos since the Μiddle Ages from the well-known medieval chronicler Leontios Macheras and from Forius Boustronius a little later. According to these sources, Strovolos was a royal field during the years of Frankish Rule. A major figure in the history of Strovolos was the National Martyr Archbishop Kyprianos, who during the Revolution of 1821, contributed greatly to the preservation of the Greek spirit and Christianity. The Turks hanged Archbishop Kyprianos and other high priest and dignitaries of Cyprus on 9th July 1821.
Strovolos is now a big city that covers an area of 25km2 and is divided into six parishes: Chryseleousa, Ayios Demetrios, Apostle Varnavas and Ayios Makarios, Ayios Vasilios, National Martyr Kyprianos and Stavros.
Strovolos evolved in its present condition after the tragic events of 1974, when Turkey invaded Cyprus and occupied 38% of the island’s territory. Due to this event many refugees settled within the city of Strovolos.
Since 1974, a big industrial area was created in Strovolos and the areas of services and manufactures have developed to a great extend.
THE MUNICIPALITY´S OPERATION
The Municipal Council consists of 27 members: The Mayor, the Vice-mayor and 25 Municipal Counselors. The responsibilities, as well as the duties and powers of the Council, are described in Articles 83, 84 and 85 of the Municipal Law N. 111/85.
The Mayor chairs the Council Meetings, is the executive authority of the Municipality and heads the Services. In order to facilitate the work of the Municipal Council, several Municipal Committees have been set up:
The Municipal Service consists of 93 employees and 178 workers. The General Secretary (Town Clerk) is the General Director of the Municipality. The Service is divided into the following Services/Departments, each of which has its own head: Administration and Personnel Department, Finance Department, Technical Department which is divided into the sector of Licensing and Land Division and the Sector of Construction and Maintenance, Environmental Development Department, Public Health and Sanitation Department, Cultural Affairs Sector. A Citizen’s Service Bureau and a Health and Safety Bureau also operate in the Municipality.
The building of the Municipality is a modern building which corresponds to the needs of a modern organization.
The Municipality of Strovolos has given a great attention to Culture since its establishment. A Municipal Library has been established, as well as a Municipal Choir, a Folklore Dance Club, a Photography Club, a Symphonic Band of the Municipality of Strovolos – European University of Cyprus.
The annual cultural programme of the Municipality includes a variety of events from both domestic and Greek artists. The cultural events of the Municipality include concerts covering a wide repertoire, art exhibitions, lectures, dance and theatrical performances, festivals, anniversary events and events dedicated to children.
Artists who are interested in participating in the cultural programme of the Municipality, submit their proposals to the Municipality, following a published call of interest. All proposals are first evaluated by the Committee of Cultural Affairs and then by the City Council.
THE MUNICIPAL THEATRE OF STROVOLOS
The Municipal Theatre and the Music Hall of the Municipality of Strovolos has been designed so as to host a broad amount of artistic activities such as concerts, operas, ballets, and theatre
performances. Its size is for about 870 people including seats for people with special needs. This place has been designed with high standards. Particular attention has been paid to the study and implementation of the acoustic demands. Up to today the acoustic results have been proved to be very good according to the positive comments and the enthusiasm of the musical conductors, the soloists, and of the musicians who participated in several activities in the Hall.
The whole set of buildings has a big reception place which is connected with the reception place of the Municipal Building, modern and comfortable dressing rooms with hygienic places, a modern practice hall, a refreshment room for the artists, offices and storing places. It has all the equipment that is necessary for the successful organization and attendance of performances.
The construction of the Municipal Theatre indicates the beginning of a promising era for the cultural activities of Cyprus and it opens new horizons for the improvement of the culture and the citizens’ quality of life.
STROVOLOS CULTURAL CENTER
The Municipal Council of Strovolos has decided to renovate, improve and extent the old Municipal Building which is situated in the old city centre of Strovolos, so as to be used as the Municipal Library (new building) and as a Cultural Centre.
Τhe Cultural Center is one of the first Public Buildings in Cyprus which has been restored, designed, constructed and operated as a building of low energy consumption across Europe and has been included as an example of good practice in the European Green Public Procurement. The building is consisted of the restored/renovated building, where there are rooms available for rent, as well as the new building, in which the Municipal Library is housed.
For more information on the website: www.culturalcenterofstrovolos.org.cy
For the cultivation, promotion and growth of athleticism, the Municipality has created the Strovolos Municipal Sports Center in 1991 which is situated next to Ayios Demetrios park in 20 Koritsas Street, 2012 Strovolos, between Makarios Hospital and the English School. The telephone number for bookings or information is 22 318358.
The centre consists of (4) futsal pitches, (4) tennis courts, a track (ceramic dust), (8) outdoor fitness instruments, instruments of callisthenic gymnastics, washrooms-changing rooms, one administration office, etc.
Bright green parks have been created for the entertainment of the citizens, parks that beautify and transform the whole area.
In the area of Strovolos Municipality, 65 organized parks have been created as spaces for the entertainment of the citizens.
About 278 green spaces have been created, 500,000m² in total, while at the same time approximately 40,000 trees were planted in public areas, municipal parking lots and other areas. There are 32 organized green areas with amphitheatres, lakes, fountains and 64 playgrounds.
The best parks are those of Acropolis and Ayios Demetrios which are one of a kind.
ACROPOLIS EXHIBITIONS PARK AREA (CAVES)
After the decision of the Municipal Council the caves of the Acropolis park have been turned into an exhibition area. There is necessary infrastructure so that the caves can operate as a room for lectures, seminars, exhibitions, music performances, book presentations and other events.
The Municipality of Strovolos has established the Strovolos Municipality Multi-Functional Foundation in 1994, a non-profit foundation responsible for the development and implementation of Social Policy in the area of Strovolos.
The Foundation is subsidised mainly by the Municipality of Strovolos, the Social Welfare Services of the Ministry of Labour, Welfare and Social Insurance and relevant European programmes.
Under the framework of the Foundation, the following programmes and activities of Social Policy function, which cover a wide spectrum of social services for various social groups in the local society of Strovolos:
- SERVICES/PROGRAMS FORPEOPLE IN THE THIRD AGE
- Daily Center for Elderly People
- Training programme for the provision of a “Certificate of Professional Care of older people”
- SERVICES/PROGRAMMES/ACTIONS FOR SUPPORTING THE FAMILY
- Childcare Centers for the Protection, Recreation and Education
- Childens’ Camps
- School Social Worker
- Katina Mikellidou Foundation
- Trainning Programmes
- Implementation of research for families with children in Strovolos Municipality
- SERVICES/PROGRAMS/ACTIONS FOR SUPPORT TO DISPOSING OF PEOPLE
- Counseling Center
- “Street Work” Social Programs
- Support to Disposing of People and Families
- SERVICES/PROGRAMS/ACTIONS FOR DEVELOPING FURTHER SOCIAL POLICY IN STROVOLOS
- Municipal Prevention and Social Support Groups
- Local Prevention and Social Support Groups – “Neighborhood Watcher”
- Social Integration Programme for Third-Country Nationals
The Open School Programme of the Municipality of Strovolos, is a programme funded by the Ministry of Education and Culture and has been operating in the municipality since 2008. The purpose of the Programme is to use schools as Centers for Culture, Sports and Creation during afternoons since otherwise they would have remained unused.
The main goals of the Programme are:
- Stimulation of Municipality residents to take part in social activities which will Improve their quality of life
- Growth of cultural and athletic abilities in our society
- Possibilities for organisations, clubs and people to have cultural, artistic and athletic activities so that they can promote their work to the public
- Strengthen the relationship between the residents of the Municipality
In this programme, children and adults have the ability to learn and participate in various events such as dancing, computers, musical instruments, cooking – confectionery, theatrical workshops, painting, various sports, etc. During the school year 2017-2018 the participations of children and adults in the programmes of the “Open School” have reached the number of 2160.
For more information click here http://bit.ly/2KIG9li
The Municipality is actively involved in the implementation of European Programmes through which it has the opportunity to cooperate with other European cities, aiming at exchanging know-how, adopting good practices in various fields and raise awareness of the wider European mentality.Some of the projects in which the Municipality participates are LIFE + – UrbanProof project (http://urbanproof.eu/el/) which aims at enhancing the resilience of municipalities to the impacts of climate change by equipping them with a powerful tool to support decision-making in the planning of climate change adaptation coordinated by the Department of the Environment, Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment, the project “Colorful Society” co-funded by the Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund – Local Authorities Integration Programmes, “Walk the (Global) Walk” (Europeaid) and the INNOVIMENTOR (Interreg Balkan-Med) project.
For more information on the website: www.strovolos.org.cy
The Municipality of Strovolos was certified with the Green Office environmental award.
The certification of the Municipal Building with this Environmental Quality Award aims at having and implementing such criteria related to the reduction of energy and consumption of resources, promoting recycling, implementing of environmentally friendly practices and environmental education practices.
The Green Office certification was awarded to the City Hall and it presupposes the recognition and adoption of sustainable practices in its everyday operation in such a way so as to improve its overall environmental performance by saving financial, natural and other resources.
Strovolos Municipality is the first Local Authority in Cyprus that has been certified by the Green Office award. The programme is implemented by the NGO CYMEPA and is supported by the Commissioner of the Environment. In order for the Municipality to be able to keep this certification, it is required by everyone to be committed and implement the action plan which has been prepared by the Municipal Service.
+ The Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy
The Municipality of Strovolos, after the relevant decision of its Municipal Council, has signed the new Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy.
The new Covenant is a continuation of the previous Covenant of Mayors which has been signed by the Municipality in 2009.
The new Covenant is a voluntary commitment of Local Authorities. Signatory cities pledge action to support implementation of the EU 40% greenhouse gas-reduction target by 2030 and the adoption of a joint approach to tackling mitigation and adaptation to climate change.
In order to translate their political commitment into practical measures and projects, Covenant signatories commit to submitting, within two years following the date of the local council decision, a Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plan (SECAP) outlining the key actions they plan to undertake. This bold political commitment marks the beginning of a long-term process with cities committed to reporting every two year on the implementation progress of their plans.
Geographic Information System (G.I.S.)
The Municipality of Strovolos, the Department of Land and Surveys (D.L.S.) of the Ministry of Interior and the Department of Information Technology Services (D.I.T.S.) of the Ministry of Finance have cooperated so as to implement a G.I.S. system for Strovolos Municipality which will be later be used as a pilot system by other Municipalities.
The project was co-funded through the European Union Structural by the European Regional Development Fund (85%) and by national resources (15%). The project’s total budget was €219.600, 00 which includes the necessary Hardware and Software.
The projects benefits are many since it allows a better cooperation among the Municipality’s departments/sectors because the information concerning all departments-sectors now exists on a central base.
In addition, the statistical analysis of the data will allow the Municipality to export productively its conclusions for everyday tasks and will help to make a policy for further development.
ISO Quality Policy
In Strovolos Municipality a total quality management system is being implemented according to the international standard ISO 9001:2015 having as a main target the continuous quality improvement of its services to the citizens.
Strovolos Municipality is committed to provide qualitative and efficient service to everybody without any discrimination.
38-40, Gr. Afxentiou, 1st floor
2480 Tseri, Nicosia
Mayor: Stavros Michail
Tel.: +357 22381744
Fax: +357 22381729
The village of Tseri is situated about 8 km to the south of Nicosia. It borders Strovolos to the north, Latsia to the east and Deftera to the west. Lakatamia lies to the north-west and Analyonta, Marki and Kotsiati are to the south. In 2011 Tseri became a municipality in its own right.
Tseri is a relatively new community – no more than 250 years old – having been created during the late Ottoman period (circa 1850). However, some historians of medieval times mention the name Tseri. Mas de Latris stated that Tseri existed from 1190 and Florios Boustronius that Tseri was given as a fiefdom to John de Lidro in the middle of the fifteenth century.
The history of the village during the 19th and 20th centuries is better known due to information found in the ledgers of the Archdiocese, government files and libraries. Tseri was inhabited by Greeks from its earliest years; however, some Turks settled for a short period around 1861. During this time the village was traded amongst Turks, given to Mehmed by Ahmed (ref: the Archives of the National Library of Sofia 1571-1878). During the years of Turkish rule Tseri was under the administration of Kazan of Kythrea.
According to the Great Cyprus Encyclopaedia (ed. 1989), Tseri took its name from the word “tzierin” (wax or candle) because of the many bees in the area. According to the elderly in Tseri, their ancestors kept a lot of bees for wax and honey.
Other versions indicate that the name Tseri was originally Xeri, thought to be derived from the lack of water resources that characterise the region. This lack of water may have some connection to the movement of the original inhabitants, perhaps from Tripi to the south, bordering the communities of Marki and Analionda.
The names Tseri and Xeri both appear on official documents at different times, showing that both names were recognised. The name Xeri occurs on both birth certificates and title deeds until the 1960s and on current topographical maps. The name Tseri is seen on documents of the Archbishopric of Cyprus in 1820 (Costas Papageorgiou, Tseri, From Village to Suburb, 1991 and Sophocles Kakouros, A Bygone Era, 1991).
The first inhabitants were shepherds (first mentioned by Giannoukkos) who originally built their farms around 1750.
There are two versions of the origins of these first inhabitants. The first is that they came from the neighbouring village of Kambia, and the second, that they were the last residents of Tripi village, 1.5 km to the south of Tseri. The village of Tripi can be found on old maps dated 1573 and 1650. Archaeological findings of the Antiquities Department show that there was a medieval settlement located in “Lysatzia”, which was close to Tripi.
For long periods of time the cultivation of olive trees was one of the main occupations of the villagers. Local legend maintains that the existence of a flourishing olive tree in the south-eastern part of the village prompted early residents to plant more olives since they seemed to do well. They brought wild olives from the nearby forest of Machairas and planted around twenty trees. The next year the trees had become forty, the third year one hundred and within a decade, there was not a resident who did not cultivate olive trees. Even the shepherds, who were not enthusiastic about trees, slowly planted their own olive trees.
In the past, villagers were also involved in traditional occupations, such as the manufacture of “tsesta” (a straw tray, often decorated, used for drying food), “sarka” and “vroukalia” (types of broom) and handmade embroidery. Tseri has some distinctive examples of local embroidery, for example, one pattern is in the shape of a plume. Particularly characteristic is the “Tserkotiko klosi” which adorned the edge of tablecloths, tray cloths and towels.
These activities took place alongside the production of halloumi, which was very important, and agricultural activities.
From the time of its inception, the population of Tseri has increased steadily. Pre-1974 the village boasted 300 inhabitants. In 2001, according to the most recent population census, there were six thousand residents, and today (2015) the population is estimated at 9,000.
According to the Statistics Service, evidence indicates a future expected growth in the local population with an increase mainly among young couples, thereby reducing the percentage (7%) of the 65 years and over age group.
A marked rise in population took place around 1976 with the creation of the Self-help Housing for Internally Displaced People developments. In addition, the area has expanded gradually due to its comparative advantages over other areas, such as:
- proximity to the urban area of Nicosia
- the lower cost of land and property for home ownership
- excellent access to the A1 motorway connecting Nicosia to all other main towns
- the sense of community
- the overall living conditions and the natural environment.
From 2000 until today these conditions for population growth and residential development have continued to improve.
In Tseri there are a total of three ancient monuments and the Department of Antiquities names two of these as archaeologically sensitive areas. The ancient monuments are:
- remains from a time around 3000 BC
- remains from the Roman period
- remains of an ancient cemetery.
In 1949, in the area of Agkali, approximately 2 km south-east of the modern village of Tseri and close to Almyros River, villagers from Tseri discovered an impressive underground structure with steps which was later recorded in the archives of the Department of Antiquities as an underground cistern of the Roman period (locally called ‘the Sterna’). By 2006 it had almost disappeared when the department relocated it and listed it as a ‘Monument of Schedule A’.
In 2010 the soil was removed to reveal 40 steps of an underground staircase built out of limestone. On either side there is a wall built of large sandstones lined with lime mortar. The staircase is covered by an impressive arched roof, measuring 10.10m in length and built from large sandstones, carved with great skill. The inner surface of the walls and ceiling are lined with hydraulic plaster, an insulating material that is highly resistant to moisture. So far the depth of the building, from the original surface, reaches 8.80 m from the plot’s surface. The exact dating of the underground building will take place when excavations are finally completed. A number of pottery items dating from the archaic period (800 BC – 480 BC) to the early Christian period (until 600 AD) were found at the site. Two terracotta heads, one of a horse and one of a man, both belonging to ancient clay figures of the archaic period, were also found.
Although the underground structure is not yet completely excavated, it is believed to be most probably associated with the exploitation and management of water, perhaps linked to an underground aquifer. In addition, the great effort required to complete this massive construction demonstrates that it played an important role in the area.
The excavations are also highly significant for the history of water management in Cyprus, especially in areas that are characterised by extremely arid weather conditions. The inhabitants of these areas often had to deal with drought and must have applied various methods of locating, storing and transferring precious water to cover their drinking and irrigation needs and to improve their living conditions in general.
Other important archaeological finds in the area include a stone plaque depicting the crucifiction of Jesus with the two thieves, given by Giorkis Ttarapoulouzis to the Archaeological Museum in 1933, now in the collections of the Museum of Limassol. A clay figurine was found later, in 1942.
A small chapel, as was the custom, was built in the very early years of this fledgling community. The chapel was dedicated to St. Anne but unfortunately there are no remains of this first church today.
Another church was built in the centre of the village in 1882 and dedicated to Saints Andronikos and Athanasias. The sanctification of the church took place in August 1913. This traditional church still adorns the heart of the community. The tower was built at a later time.
The first priest of the church was the blessed Papageorgios, who was succeeded by Papastafrinos, Papamichael, Papastephanou, Papadimitrios, Papakyriacou, Papadimitrios’ son – Sophocles, Archimandrite Chrysanthos, who came from Paphos, Papacharalambos, Andrew Monk and current priests Papamichael and Papaadamos.
Over the years some village residents – Hadjieleni Hadjimichael, Christos Pierides and Maritsou Hindi – have been great benefactors of the church, offering large sums to cover significant needs of the church at various times.
In 2009 a large new church, dedicated to Saints Constantine and Eleni, was completed in order to meet the needs of the increased number of residents in the community. This church was inaugurated by the Metropolitan Holy Tamasos, Isaiah, in the presence of the Bishop of Constance and Famagusta, Vassilios, on 1 January 2010.
Ruins of another church dedicated to St. Catherine were found in the old cemetery of the community, now adjacent to the newly built Church of Saints Constantine and Eleni. On the site of the ruins a chapel has been built which is repainted for a service held every November 25, the celebration of the Assumption of St. Catherine.
78, Rigainis Str. CY-1010 Nicosia
P.O.Box 22033, CY-1516 Nicosia, Cyprus
Tel: +357 22 445170
Fax: +357 22 677230